Monday, February 6, 2012

I Remember......#2

Every time I take a trip down the toy aisle, I'm always so jealous of the things kids have now of days. Like seriously, we didn't even know this technology was possible back in the day! So I was randomly Googling around the internet with some vague idea of something to write for my blog, and came across some toys that I had when I was little, and the simplicity of them is just so cool, because this simplicity kept us entertained for HOURS. Though I find that awesome, still it totally makes me feel like I'm from the stone age, and I'm trying not to be totally gutted inside from the fact that I had to type in "vintage" when I was looking for additional pictures for this post! Vintage?! Wow, it can't be THAT long ago can it?? Ha!

The first on my list is the lovely My Little Pony! I had one just like this one when I was little! It was plush, it was cuddly, and I could brush her hair! :D I remember doing photo shoots with My Little Pony. Oh gosh, who remembers those cameras with the 110 film? lol We took pictures in the yard, in the house, snuggled in bed (Oh how I wish I still had those! LOL) with my bear Teddy Ruxin. No, you read that right. It was NOT a Teddy Ruxpin doll! Those things creeped me the heck out, so I just had an ordinary bear and called it Teddy Ruxin in the hopes my lovely friends wouldn't find my little secret. I could just say the name real quick and just let them ASSUME I said I had a Ruxpin!  My vanity started at an early age..what can I say? lol



Next on my list is the famous water toy! Waterfuls!!! Frustrating yet horribly addicting! I remember sitting there jabbing that stupid little button trying to get the little rings to go stinking higher! HIGHER!! Dangit!!! lol




As I was Googling for VINTAGE *cringe* toys...I ran into this and almost jumped up and down right in my seat! Yes! Right in my seat! I had a set JUST like this when I was little! Its a Tupperware children's set and what was so bomb-tastic about these is they were just like the regular size ones except....tiny! lol There were also little mixing bowls, soup bowls, a little rolling pin, the stopper tops for the pitchers and lids for the cups! As I grew up those little cups with the lids became more of a storage for my earrings and I lost the rest piece by piece, but the fun I had with this set was so awesome! I'm getting way nostalgic...*tear*...:D




This was also another find I made as I was searching away! Fashion Plates! So, this so does not even come close to comparing with the online fashion design they have now for kids, but at the time-this was soooo the thing to do! You had your choice of a few different styles of tops, bottoms, hats/hair, and even sporty type outfits. You picked your outline, used a black Crayola crayon to rub your outline onto the paper, then you took out the plates and could turn the plates over to use the designs on the back to decorate your clothes with color pencils. Fun fun fun! Wow, I'm getting way too excited...ha!




Okay, so there is nothing terribly too exciting about this one, lol, but it made me go all squishy inside because I had one just like it! You followed the numbers in the mini song book and viola! Out popped a song! Nothing more complicated than Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, but I've got to say, I did get quite good. If I held the thing and played with one hand, I could whiz through the numbers really really fast and it actually sounded like a tune...you could say I was the Mozart of my time. Or, not. Really really not. 

8-4-8-4-8-5-6.....how I wonder what you are....

And we can't forget about Barbie! I had sooo many it would be impossible to find pics of them all and post them here! I also had some Ken dolls but they aren't as exciting so who needs 'em? lol  I loved dressing Barbie up in different outfits and doing her hair! Playing with my cousins and thinking up little stories for them to act out. And hey...if Barbie ever wanted to go to the movies with her friends, all we had to do was line them up in front of the tv, and instant movie theater! lol


Day to Night Barbie-Professional by day, "Professional" by night...lol

Disco Barbie!

Golden Dreams Barbie!

Great Shape Barbie!





My heart did a little flippy flop right in my chest when I saw this! One of my favorite things that I grew up with was this charm necklace. I had a TON of charms and I always sported it. You could hear me coming a mile away and I loved it! lol


Weebles!! Weebles wobble, but they won't fall down!! :D 





Wow! The more I look, the more awesome toys from my childhood I find! And it's so weird the memories that pop into my head just looking at pictures of toys. Playing with my siblings, cousins, and friends and all the silly things we used to do. Memories of where I was when I was playing with each toy, whether it was at home, at my grams house, at school, or some random park. My heart gets all tingly! I know each generation of people say this but they did really seem like simpler times!


4 comments:

  1. You have 5 subscribers now ; ) Just noticed your comment on Zoella's blog and thought I'd pop over and say hi. I LOVE vintage toys too, got quite a collection of them in the loft and my fella collects old transformers - despite being 28. Welcome to the world of blogging! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. :D Thanks so much for reading and subscribing! You have totally made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS...since the writing of this post..I've sooo wanted to start collecting vintage Barbie's..lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comment on my blog Meli. Haha, vintage Barbies would make a great collection! I used to love Polly Pockets too. Do you like those? I will have to root through the loft and see if I can dig them out. Blast from the past!x

    ReplyDelete